Newbe Question

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sun Aug 22 22:03:12 UTC 2004

Am So, den 22.08.2004 schrieb Robert Slade um 21:52:
> I’ve just installed Fedora on a Server and I am having trouble with up2date.
> The icon is flashing red, but when up2date starts it downloads some info
> then it hangs while getting the headers.
>
> My internet connection is OK so I guess that the problem is with the RH
> site. Is there a mirror I can use, preferably in the UK?

Well known issue with up2date.
   http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
is listing a lot of mirrors, e.g.

United Kingdom
              * http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/
              * ftp://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/
              * rsync://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/fedora-linux-core/
              * http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/
              * ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/
              * rsync://rsync.mirror.ac.uk/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core

You should completely delete the link to redhat.com in
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and replace it by one of the mirrors.

Peter