Windows Media players

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Aug 23 04:43:47 UTC 2004

Andrew Konosky wrote:

> Claude Jones wrote:

>>> Have you tried totem (or xine, which totem is based on)?
>>>

>> I just looked into Totem. It states that it's a media player for the
>> Gnome desktop. Will it also work under KDE?
>>

> Mplayer should work just fine from an rpm install, but I don't
> remember if you have to install the codecs seperately or not. I don't
> think thats necessary with rpms, but it is with a source
> compile/install. Mplayer was my main media player, then I installed
> Xine and was impressed with it, so I use it as default now. I would
> recommend Xine for video and XMMS is a good music-jukebox type
> program. I keep Mplayer because it has mencoder for encoding DVDs to
> mpeg1/2 or mpeg4. Kplayer is a KDE media player based on mplayer, and
> it is comparible to XMMS as far as a music jukebox, but all of the
> above work for me under both gnome and KDE, so you can use them all if
> you want.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Maybe you or someone will
have an idea what I did wrong with the mplay install. If I click on a
Windows Media file from the Mozilla browser window, an Mplayer window
opens and a message appears that it's buffering along with a progress
bar -- and that's it. The green progress bar moves left to right, gets
to almost the end, and then I just get the endless hour glass. The file
appears to be downloading, but it never streams, or plays after the
download.