Ethernet without my router

Sanjay Arora skpobox at hotpop.com
Mon Aug 23 15:45:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 18:03, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Shefali Joshi wrote:
> > I installed FC2 and at first, my ethernet wouldnt activate. I wondered
> > if it would work if I plugged in my router, and Voila! It worked.
> > My ISP is SBC DSL and I require a username and password to connect to
> > the internet. I suspect that FC2 would'nt activate my ethernet without
> > the router because I hadnt supplied it my ISP username and password?
> > So...how do I do that? :)
>
> Can you explain a bit more about your setup?
>
> How many network cards do you have? The normal situation is that you
> either have one network card that connects to the router, which then
> connects to the ISP (in which case, the username and password is the
> router's problem), or you have one card for your LAN and one for your
> ISP (in which case,
>
> But it sounds as though you've got your router to deal out IP
> addresses using DHCP, and Fedora configured to ask a DHCP server for
> an IP address. If that's the case, then no, you will need your
> router or another DHCP server before you get an IP address in a useable
> range.
>
> How do you know your Ethernet isn't working, anyway? Are there any
> lights on the back? Is it plugging into a switch or hub?

I am not familiar with this thread but here goes...Some ISPs especially
here in India are using a protocol called cyberoam for providing an
ethernet wire (UTP CAT 5) based ISP services. The user has only an
ethernet card and connects to mostly linux based servers and has an
authentication built into the protocol...user needs a client that runs
as a daemon in unix based systems and a system tray app in windows. In
addition to user authentication, it has some harware
authentication/recognition built in...maybe MAC address registration or
something like that.

It seems that this DSL is using some similar protocol...but then it may
not...as I havent heard its use on DSL. It may be a PPoE connection that
requires authentication.

What the Shefali requires is third party driver/ authentication client
and maybe obtained from the DSL provider, if not standard in FC.

Just my to cents...maybe valueless ;-))

Best regards.
Sanjay.