AMDK6

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Tue Aug 24 00:23:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, James Wilkinson wrote:

> Shardul Vyas wrote:
> > i read for kernel 2.2 specifications--
> >
> > "AMD K6 is not supported"
>
> Erm -- what? Where?
>
> Mike Burger wrote:
> > Fedora Core doesn't make use of the 2.2 kernel...it uses 2.4 (FC1) or 2.6
> > (FC2/3).
> >
> > I wouldn't go back to a 2.2 kernel, at this point.
>
> True. But even if there was a problem with 2.2 and the K6 at one point
> (and I never heard of it), it didn't last long. The K6 came out in 1997,
> the K6-2 in 1998, and 2.4 came out right at the end of 2000, if I recall
> correctly.

As I recall, though, the initial message mentioned Fedora...ah, here it
is:

"i already have fedora core installed on my AMD K6(3D now)machine."

Although, looking at it, now, I note the 3DNow notation, and I don't
recall that being available on the K6 line...he may well have a K7
(Athlon/Duron) and just misnomered.

> The K6 was a fine processor. It's a bit slow by today's standards, but
> unless you want to do lots of compiling or CPU-intensive stuff, it
> should do you fine (unless you've got one of the SiS support
> chipsets...)

I'm running FC1 as a firewall on a K6-350.  As you said, slow by today's
standards, but for a dedicated firewall machine, it's better than the
P5-200MMX that it replaced. <Wink>

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit