DVD iso

Mike Ramirez mike at thexxxhost.com
Tue Aug 24 01:15:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 12:44, Robert wrote:
> Lew Bloch wrote:
> >> Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 09:59:37 +0100
> >> From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
> >> ... I was trying to clarify that for Lew. ...
> >

> > I've been rereading and thinking about the posts offered by Paul and
> > Joe(theWordy) and others - just about every idea has been viable and
> > their value has increased as I consider them.  You've all been very
> > helpful; thank you.
> >
> > I'm bound to try several different approaches.  The "burn'em CD boot"
> > approach is a goodn, or I could even mount a bootable Linux partition on
> > the Windows machine.  But time and energy are limited, and I get lazy,
> > so experimentation might take a while.
> >
> > Of course, now everyone who reads the thread knows about Knoppix and
> > like solutions, and can think about NFS and perhaps even Samba.  I hope
> > many have benefited.
> >

> There's another trick I intend to try, next time I install a new version
> on my other machine.  We all know that you can control the installation
> remotely by booting "linux vnc" and that you can export the iso file(s)
> by booting linux "askmethod".  I'm wondering if the two can be combined.
> Along the same lines, there was another thread here just a few days ago
> that found someone in the UK confronted with finding an idiot-proof
> method for loading a system here in the US.  I think that if I were in
> that situation commercially (which a number of people here are) or quite
> a bit younger (which damn near everyone on this list is :(), I would
> look into a hardware solution built around a watchdog timer and
> bootstrap in ROM on a PCI card.
>
> Regards

Ok yam which is a python script can set up a mirror of quite a few repos
for Fedora Core 2 and supports remote installs with PXE enabled NIC. I
use it to download updates once for two machines.  You can check it out
here: http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/yam/

You don't need the ISOs to mirror the repos. "Straight out of the box"
it will grab FC2 core, updates and a few extra repos (Becareful dag has
1600 packages to download initally compared the core which is 1619
packages) also the i386 and x86_64 arch types.