OS installation restarts

Oais Halim oaishalim at hotpop.com
Tue Aug 24 12:01:32 UTC 2004

I've started a new string taking the suggestion of Robert

"We are communicating via a "hijacked" thread hat was started 'way
back in March and with a decidedly non-informational subject. If you
don't have a breakthrough, why don't you start a new thread with a
subject that is likely to interest more people."

    anyway I tried booting the installation cd in default mode again this morning, problem still persists, anyway I'm not experiencing any kernel panic like yesterday but the computer reboots while the installation is doing a media check, not at a particular point during the media check but any point. sometimes it reboot at 27%, sometimes at 12%, I tried the memtest86 and waited till it passed once, I couldn't find any problem, What do you think the problem could be?
    I have 2 hard drives in my computer, one is for windows and one is empty where I'm planning to install Fedora, the windows hard drive is set as primary master and the linux harddrive is set as primary slave and my cdrom drive is set as secondary master, Is this setup conflicting in anyway with the Installation? I have a new cdrom drive so a possibility for it to fail is rare. I'm practically stumped at the moment. I have no idea what to do. why is it rebooting?
I hope I get some answers
thanks and regards
Oais

PS: My configuration is
PIII-450 MHz
256Mb SDram
3dfx voodoo3 16Mb
2 Seagate HDDs 20Gb(windows), 8Gb (for fedora)
sony 52X cdrom drive
TVS 101 keyboard
iball optical mouse
Samsung Samtron 75m(E) 17" monitor
I'm not sure about my mother board,
it says its a 6ZX2 mother board with an intel i440 zx chipset.
Hope this info is sufficient.