rsync (ssh) a fedora mirror

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Aug 25 12:08:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 06:00, alain volmat wrote:
> I'm trying to use rsync over ssh to synchronise my
> server with one of fedora mirror.
> The problem is very simple actually, I'm being asked
> for a password (ssh password on the fedora mirror),
> which of course I don't have.
> My question is: are there any "anonymous" ssh
> rsync fedora mirror that I could use ?
> Or maybe I just miss some important point concerning
> ssh ...
>
> I know that my problem would be solved by just using
> rsync over rsh, but I have no choice but to use a
> socksified ssh.

   Not a problem, actually.  I have every external machine (and most
internal machines) set up to disallow root logins and use something they
call 'pulickey' authentication.  Now I click on an icon, and the next
thing I see is the remote prompt. It also lets me effortlessly run
commands there...

   There are lots of 'passwordless' howtos; it's probably best to find
one you're comfortable with.  Search Google with "publickey ssh". They
all amount to the same thing; making a 'key' that's a little like a PGP
key (but it's not) and depositing it in the right place on the remote
side.

    http://www.fedoranews.org/dowen/sshkeys/ is a good one.

   Enjoy!

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller