ITERaid, Kernel compile and strange messages

Brian L. Walter amatin at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 18:36:55 UTC 2004

Greetings,

I've search what I have of the archives (approx 35,000 messages) and
can't seem to find anything related to this problem.

Here's what I've done:
Installed a clean copy of the 2.6.5-1.358 source from distrubtion.
Did a make oldconfig > make > make modules >make modules_install > make
install

That seems to have given me a bootable kernel.

Next, I followed the instructions for adding the it8212 RAID controller
to the kernel from here:
http://www.passys.nl/tips/ite_kernel_image_compile.txt , specifically,

In "Kconfig.in" I added (without the ""):
"config SCSI_ITE_RAID
	tristate "ITE IT8212 support"
	depends on SCSI && PCI && EXPERIMENTAL
	help
	  For use of the ITE IT8212 RAID controller.

	  If unsure, say N. "
Below the SCSI_SATA_VIA rules.
and in "Makefile" I added (without the ""):
"obj-$(CONFIG_SCSI_ITE_RAID)	+= iteraid.o"
Below the line about the Sata_Via module.

(After determining that the file is Kconfig, not Kconfig.in)

Then ran make menuconfig, selecting the iteraid driver.

rebuilt the kernel, and rebooted.

Added an /etc/rc.modules to load at boot time

This all seemed to work.

However, when I do the modprob iteraid (or when the rc.modules file gets
executed), I get the following:

atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x0 on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes 00 <keycode>' to make it known.

Afterwards, just about anything I attempt to do generates these messages.

If boot *without* the iteraid module (comment it out of the rc.modules), things work fine.

I'm at a loss...Any ideas?

TIA
Brian