route (is it forwarding packets?) (sorry if duplicate).

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Aug 25 19:43:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 15:19, William Hooper wrote:

> I just saw a post in HP's forums asking what Jet Direct devices are
> compatible.  I think you will find a lot of small Apple networks relying
> on it.

No wonder I have not heard of its use in the real world.  :)

> > I need to find time to run
> > some tests but I am wondering if someone could use those addresses to
> > access systems on an existing network and if so does it provide a way for
> > someone to evade various IDS's?
>
> I think if your firewall is allowing connections you don't want you have
> bigger problems.

I don't believe it is getting through the firewall. Is the address range
they default to routable on the Internet?  I would hope this would be
non-routable address space like RFC 1918.

> Nothing about zeroconf changes the basic TCP/IP.  Again, to paraphrase
> http://www.zeroconf.org/, it just:
>
> a) finds an unused address
> b) allows you to do name resolution without a specific DNS server
> c) find out what other services are available.
>
> It's basically a better engineered version of Netbios over TCP/IP.

I knew there was reason I did not like it.  :)

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>