boot problem!

Mustafa Orkun moblinux at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 25 20:50:48 UTC 2004

Hi!
well,2 months ago i decided to install fedore core 2 on my sytem(i was
unable to do it last 1 years,because i had a new system with a SATA
disk and kernel versions below 2.4.22 didn't support it!).
it didn't go well because of my mistake that i've tried to make more
than 4 primary partitions with the "disk druid" which has ended with a
completely erased 120 Gb s of harddisk.later with some programs i've
saved my data by writing partitions info to MBR but my existing XP
didn't boot anymore..then i've installed FC2 (with only / root
partition) ,but some data about partitions were still wrong;so that the
XP problem continued.
after then i again installed XP;XP setup repaired the MBR,but after that
i cannot boot into linux.
with the FC2 rescue CD, in  GRUB, i've given the command :
grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> setup (hd0)
but grub graphical screen didn't appear,after 10 secs system boots into XP.
i have to mention that before reinstalling XP, FC was in the /sda4
which is now in /sda2.
my exact question: is it possible to fix it?because linux thinks that he
is in /sda4 but now is in /sda2 according to the repaired MBR???