rsync (ssh) a fedora mirror

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Aug 26 09:40:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, alain volmat wrote:

> thanks for the information. Yam seems to be great.
> However, it actually still doesn't solve my first
> problem since its first choice is rsync, which mean
> that I still need to use ssh in fact.

You have 2 modes to run rsync. One is with a helper tool like ssh or rsh,
and the other is using the native rsync protocol (anonymous). Since you
can't use ssh or rsh to a mirror, you'll have to use anonymous rsync.

The examples provided with Yam are all based on anonymous rsync access.

	http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/yam/yam.conf

> It seems to support lftp so if I can socksify lftp, I
> should be able to get my mirror.

Rsync is probably the best choice for syncing a mirror, but you can also
use ftp, http, fish or sftp. If you want to sockify a connection, you can
use tsocks with Yam.

Most applications don't provide socks themselves because it can be done
transparantly (without needing to change the application). In case you
socksify Yam, make sure that you configure tsocks to only use socks for
the connections that needs to be socksified.

PS In case you're already mirroring some repositories, you can use a
file:/// URL in Yam to point directly to that location so that you can
still integrate that mirror into Yam.