Fedora Core 2 new install -

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Aug 26 12:21:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 05:32, Philipp Ott wrote:
> Hi Bob!
>
>  > What have I done wrong? Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Can you show us the output of mount? And which harddrives and partitions
> do you have?
>
> What is the hda2 and hda3 in your fstab? Do you see a boot folder with a
> newer kernel there?
>
> I think the Label assignments in fstab and maybe /boot/grub/menu.lst
> confuses the installation process.
>
> You can safely replace Label assignments in fstab with the real
> partition. So
>
> LABEL=/1   /   ext3   defaults   1 1
> LABEL=/boot1   /boot   ext3   defaults   1 2
>
> becomes for example
>
> /dev/hda2   /   ext3   defaults   1 1
> /dev/hda1   /boot   ext3   defaults   1 2
>
> Afterwards you can use rpm -Uhv
                             ^^^^^

I take exception to giving anyone this instruction.  You should use -ivh
instead.
If something happens during the update you are left with a non-working
system.  If you do the install you then have 2 kernels installed and if
the new one does not work you can easily go back to the old one.

Yum does not do an update on a kernel.  It defaults to doing an install
for just this reason.  Although I do not use up2date AFAIK it also
handles the kernel packages this way.