printing to XP

Gary Allen Vollink gvfedora at corvu.com
Thu Aug 26 14:27:40 UTC 2004

Lewi Kristianto wrote:

>is there any way that we can raw print to printer
>that attached to winxp from linux using cups,

As other's have said... I don't think there's a way to get this will
work.  However,
it may be an acceptable kludge to set-up a network share on the Windows
PC that
waits for PDF files, and then prints them through Adobe when they appear.

>the problem is that printer linux don't have driver
>because that's GDI printer (photocopy machine sharp
>ar-5316)
>
>so the only hope is using xp only as print server
>
>any idea, suggestions please?

One item to read is here...
  http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Generic-GDI_Printer

Also - for the archives...

Many "networked photocopiers" actually speak PCL 3 (set up CUPS to speak to
an HP LaserJet 4000).  Toshiba and Konica have been known to produce these.

That said, a "GDI" printer is unlikely to speak any standard
printer/rastering language.