patching kernel 2.6.5

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Aug 27 00:11:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 14:07, Alan Brown wrote:
> Hello from Newuserland!
>
> I've tried to do my homework (Fedora-list archives, web searches, HOWTOs,
> etc) on this, but haven't come up with an explanation or solution.  I
> recently installed Fedora Core 2 with kernel 2.6.5-1.358, and before doing
> anything else, want to patch the source and compile the kernel to bring it
> up to date.  I've got patch files for 2.6.6 through 2.6.8.1 and all the
> signatures check okay.  I run into trouble right off the mark (at least it
> looks like trouble to these aging newbie eyes...) when trying to apply
> patch-2.6.6 (using "patch -p1 --dry-run < patch-2.6.6").

Why patch?????

It is screamingly easy to do yum update and get the latest precompiled
kernel and sources installed.
The latest kernel is 2.6.8-1.521 from the updates.

The only kernels I would ever consider patching would be if I was
running bleeding edge from kernel.org and I chose not to install the
latest but to customize my own.

just my $.02