Linux-friendly ISPs?

Bob Holtzman holtzm at sonic.net
Fri Aug 27 01:59:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, rich dinkin wrote:
>
> > Adam Boettiger wrote:
> >
> >> Do any of the major ISPs offer dialup or broadband access that is
> >> compatible with Linux?
> >>
> >> I searched and all I came up with were hosting account providers, not
> >> connectivity.
> >>
> > Although Comcast doesn't officially support Linux, it works pretty
> > effortlessly. In fact, I found Linux easier to set up in Comcast than XP.
>
> what would make something "compatible with Linux"?  for the most part,
> a cable or DSL modem is just going to hand you an IP address anyway,
> so why would it matter what OS you're running?

True. Linux will work with vitually any ISP. To me, what makes an ISP
Linux-friendly is tech support that doesn't cut you off with "we don't
support Linux" and who listen when you describe the diagnostics you've run
and who don't automatically tell you to reinstall or update your software
and who are willing to admit it when there is a problem on there end ...etc, etc.

--
Bob Holtzman
 ......check the price of the beer!"