system-configs-users

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Aug 28 00:59:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 16:47, Yang Xiao wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:40:43 -0700, nina <nina at gibbons.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I just finished install FC2 and trying to set up user accounts. I
> > used system-config-users utility, and got error message
> >    "system-config-users requires a currently running x server"
> > any idea?

> Do you have X installed? if you do, type runlevel, and if it says
> anything other than 5, type init 5 and try again.
> This is because it's an X application and requires X server running to
> launch, if you are running in text mode, it won't work.

Note that you can do this remotely from another machine.  If
this is a server where you don't normally run X at the
console or don't even have an X desktop installed you can
still run the GUI tools by ssh'ing in from another
machine with an X display and starting the tool by
typing the name on the command line.  Ssh defaults to
forwarding X, so the resulting window will open on the
box where you originated the ssh connection.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com