Problem with YUM???

Bill Tetens zuki269 at netscape.net
Sat Aug 28 03:24:09 UTC 2004

r.godzilla at comcast.net wrote:
>>I am new to linux and have been playing with FC2 for a few days.  Today
>>I decided to start up YUM and download the latest kernal update and so
>>far I have had no luck.  YUM comes up with several items to download and
>>one is the kernal and it cannot get it done.  It keeps havin an error
>>and  restarts to down the kernal again.  It appears that the download is
>>not working and my question is it the YUM on my box or something else.
>>
>>Thanks
>
> It's probably because the fedora download site is overloaded. Try a mirror
> repository close to your locale.
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

I was given a site for a updated yum.conf file but am having a problem.
I can get the file into a VIM file named /etc/yum.conf but cannot save
the file.  Not sure what is wrong but would welcome any suggestions.  I
first perserved the yum.conf file by using the CD /etc command under
root.  That file does not exist but cannot write the file in the VIM
program in place of it even though VIM shows that the file is named
yum.conf.  It seems some type of restriction is on that file name or
something.  Hope I have explained enough that you understand my problem.

Help will be greatly appreciated.