Problem with YUM???

Bill Tetens zuki269 at netscape.net
Sat Aug 28 13:26:42 UTC 2004

webid at cfl.rr.com wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 23:24, Bill Tetens wrote:
>

>>I was given a site for a updated yum.conf file but am having a problem.
>>I can get the file into a VIM file named /etc/yum.conf but cannot save
>>the file.  Not sure what is wrong but would welcome any suggestions.  I
>>first perserved the yum.conf file by using the CD /etc command under
>>root.  That file does not exist but cannot write the file in the VIM
>>program in place of it even though VIM shows that the file is named
>>yum.conf.  It seems some type of restriction is on that file name or
>>something.  Hope I have explained enough that you understand my problem.
>>
>>Help will be greatly appreciated.
>

> /etc/yum.conf has 655 permissions which means it is read/writable by
> root and read only by others only.
>
> I am assuming you meant you did a cp /etc/yum.conf someotherfilename to
> save a copy of the that file not CD.  cd is for changing your current
> directory.
>
> To edit the file you will need to have root permissions or be logged in
> as root.  To do that issue the following command:
>
> su -
>
> It will prompt you for roots password and change the prompt to #.
>
> Then use vi to edit /etc/yum.conf and save your changes.

Got up this morning and started my first cup of coffee and suddenly it
dawned on my that I needed to be in root.  When I got to the computer
there was your help and it told me the same thing.  Anyway I changed the
  yum.conf file and it works just fine now.

I tried the cp command and it did not work.  Where can I find a listing
of all the commands.  I have several of them but there has to be a list
somewhere.

Thanks again for the help.