Linux-friendly ISPs?

James Kaufman jmk at kaufman.eden-prairie.mn.us
Sat Aug 28 13:53:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 11:02:49PM -0700, Charles Heselton wrote:

> I have 2 windows boxen, 1 (sometimes 2) fedora boxen, and 6 Sun boxes
> that all connect through a switch and Smoothwall configuration.  I use
> Cox as my ISP, which recently just upgraded their service to 4Mbps
> down and 512 Kbps up.  Never had any problems there, other than them
> blocking server ports (80, 25, etc.)
  -----------------------------------

To me, that sounds unfriendly. If you simply want to receive content then most
ISP's are 'friendly'. If you want to serve content, then you have to look
harder. I have heard good things about speakeasy.com. They allow you to serve
content, even resell bandwidth. Here in MN, I use Pixius, which is a small ISP
that has let me run my own mail server, web server, etc. for several years. The
network engineers there know what Linux is. Some of them run their own Linux
servers at home. They have Linux boxes at the ISP. To me, that's friendly.

--
Jim Kaufman
Linux Evangelist