cracking winmodem issues in FC2

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Aug 29 00:27:51 UTC 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Gabriel Mititica wrote:

> MAtthew:
>
> Thanks for the minicom How to:
>
> I was able to punch commands in.
>
> However it seems that no init strings works for my
> modem.
>
> I was trying the one you posted (although I assume is
> modem specific), the one generated by
> system-config-network, the one I have from windows.

That string is autoamitcally generated by minicom.  You can get minicom to
sent it with the key sequence I mentioned.

> On top of my head I'd say that the fact that the lspci
> is not finding the modem might cause all the problems.
> Playing with the /dev/* didn't help. As I said,just:
>
> slmodemd --country=CANADA
>
> error: mdm setup: cannot open dev `/dev/slamr0': No
> such device error: cannot setup device `/dev/slamr0'

Did you run "make install" as root after running make to compile the
drivers?  Do you have the device file /dev/slamr0?  (What is the output of
"ls /dev/slamr*"?)  The "make install" creates that device.  You need for
it to exist before you start loading stuff.  (This is all in the README
file.)

If that is done, then you should be able to "modprobe slamr".  If that
works then you can start "slmodemd --country=whatever /dev/slamr0".

If that all succeeds, try minicom again.

Try the above and let us know at what point it breaks.

> My modem is on the audio card:
>
> 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation
> M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems:
> Unknown device 0001
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64,
> IRQ 11
>         I/O ports at 1000
>         Memory at 10000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
> [size=4K]
>         Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
>
> I assume that the unknown device should be the modem.

I have the Intel chipset, but for me, "lspci -v" shows the audio and
modem devices separately:

  00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
          Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0537
          I/O ports at 1c00
          I/O ports at 18c0 [size=64]
          Memory at c0000c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
          Memory at c0000800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

  00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
          Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0524
          I/O ports at 2400
          I/O ports at 2000 [size=128]

I don't know what the expected output is for your machine.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu