Linksys WVC11B Wireless Cameras

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sun Aug 29 09:58:49 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 22:05 -0400, Lotsa Cabo wrote:
> The model number: WVC11B
> A link to the product's page:
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=566

Well, the camera is running Linux (RidgeRun, dsplinux.net) and you can
download the source code for the camera's OS from
http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp

You can scan the camera for running services from your Fedora Core
system with nmap:
  nmap 192.168.1.115

I don't have such a camera but I looked around in the camera's source
code from the Linksys website.

/etc/services on the camera suggests that it uses RTSP protocol (Real
Player, Windows Media Player, Quicktime?) as the streaming
service.  /etc/inetd.conf suggests that it uses a MPEG-4/H.263 CODEC via
RTSP.  So you should be able to use Xine or Mplayer from rpm.livna.org
(or Real Player from real.com) to view the video from the camera.

Try running "mplayer rtsp://192.168.1.115/" substituting the proper IP
for the camera.  If that doesn't work then you may need to know an exact
URL.  (hint: try viewing the HTML on the web page and see if it shows
the URL the ActiveX control is accessing.)

It looks like the camera uses cron to schedule capturing still images or
short videos which it places in an anonymous directory on a built-in FTP
server or emails somewhere.  (ftp://192.168.1.115/)

I think you can also login via telnet under the username "user" with no
password.  (telnet 192.168.1.115)

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/