spamassassin Problems

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 15:16:13 UTC 2004

Let me say up front that I have not used postfix before.

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 11:02, A Ve wrote:
> Hi !
>
> System: Fedora2, Following Apps installed: spamassassin-2.63-8,
> postfix-2.1.4-4.fc2.
>
> Postfix 2.1.4 is finally working - after some help from postfix
> mailinglist and postfix-guru Ralf H and some other helpfull postfix-guys.
>
> But ... spamassassin still not running. I configured it - as suggested in
> the spamassassin doc:
>
> master.cf before:
>   smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
>
> mater.cf after:
> smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd -o
> content_filter=spamassassin
>
>   spamassassin  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
> user=test argv=/usr/bin/spamc -f -e /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -f ${sender}
> ${recipient}

Do you really want to use sendmail here?  Do you even have sendmail
installed if you are using postfix?

> (taking care of linebreaks)
>
> I restarted spamassassin + postfix and sent some spam-style mail. The
> output from /var/log/maillog:
>
> Aug 30 16:19:22 mail spamd[31884]: clean message (0.0/5.0) for user:200 in
> 0.1 seconds, 976 bytes.
Looks like spamassassin ran as expected.

> Aug 30 16:19:22 mail spamc[31883]: exec failed: No such file or directory
This makes me think that spamassassin tried to exec /usr/sbin/sendmail
and could not find it.  I really suspect that you want to use postfix
here instead of sendmail which is probably not loaded on your system.

> Aug 30 16:19:22 mail postfix/pipe[31882]: EB152368423:
> to=<user at example.com>, relay=spamassassin, delay=1, status=deferred
> (system resource problem)

Now postfix does not know what to do since spamassassin threw an error.

> And the mail is not delivered / "vanished away" ... ;-) Any ideas ?

Not sure where postfix keeps it files.  Sendmail normally keeps queued
messages under /var/spool/mqueue if they were in transit or deferred.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

I'm so miserable without you, it's almost like you're here.