Nautilus slow to browse samba shares

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 16:35:51 UTC 2004

First thanks for the help on this nautilus/samba problem.  I just hope
it helps with Marc's problem as well.

This is the first time I have actually seen a list of the systems on the
network via the nautilus browser on a FC2 system.

I have found a new wrinkle for this.  During much of the testing I
disabled iptables just to make sure they were not causing any problems.
After having success at getting nautilus to see the systems in the
workgroup and access shares I enabled iptables again and re-ran the
tests.

The first part worked ok, I could see the workgroups listed in the
second window.  However, when I tried to bring up the list of systems in
one of the workgroups I get an error window with the following message:

Error Displaying Folder
The folder contents could not be displayed.
Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of
"Windows Netowrk: workgroup"

I have the following ports opened up in iptables:

137:udp
138:udp
139:tcp
445:tcp

I have also tried this with both udp and tcp ports on each of those.
Same results.

So at the moment this is working with iptables disabled but when it is
enabled it does not work.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories.
		-- Arthur C. Clarke