advansys scsi == ouch

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Aug 31 07:33:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 19:54, John McBride wrote:
> I  just received an email from initio.com--they have no plans to support
> the 2.6 kernel.

I don't think initio were supporting the 2.4 kernel either, at least not
recently. The Linux driver on the advansys.com website is 3.3g; the
version shipping with current 2.6 kernels is labelled 3.3GJD (dated
10/14/02) but has been patched numerous times since then without
updating the changelog in the file.

> Could it be that the chipset has unworkable flaws or something? There is
> a popular network card that has a similar issue--the chipset itself has
> a flaw that thrashes arp packets kind of at random. It "works" but it
> certainly doesn't "work right". I recently pulled all of those out of
> our boxes, too...they were in storage  (thus free and available to me)
> because the MS windows boxes had so many issues with them, they didn't
> want them in those boxes.

I don't think it's that; I just don't think they want to support a
product they're not selling any more.

> It might be better to just let these cards die.

A reasonable option for most people probably, but then I'd have to go
out and buy another SCSI card, which I'd rather not do...

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>