resolv.conf slows down X

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Tue Aug 31 15:21:03 UTC 2004

Uttered "Rokicki, Andrew" <ARokicki at US.TIAuto.com>, spake thus:

> If I am on a network my X works just fine and is very responsive.
> When I unplug PC from the network and reboot X is very slow to respond.

Check your "/etc/nsswitch.conf" file for a line similar to:

	hosts: dns files

(or anything else before the "files" keyword).  If so, put the
"files" keyword first:

	hosts: files dns

You probably have a network-based authorization scheme such as
NIS, kerberos or LDAP enabled and the "/etc/nsswitch.conf"
incorrectly lists them before "files" in the host name resolution.

HTH.