Problems with SCSI controller and sym53c8xx module

Cokey de Percin fdepercin at sc.rr.com
Tue Aug 31 21:25:33 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 11:50, C. Linus Hicks wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 10:24, Johan Totterman wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm running FC 2 with a 2.6.8-1.521 kernel.
> >
> > My goal is to configure two or more Symbios Logic 53C875J PCI SCSI
> > controllers on my machine and run a couple of Unisys SCSI disk arrays
> > through them.
> > When I install only one of the Symbios controllers, everything goes
> > smoothly, the sym53c8xx module loads beautifully and all my SCSI devices
> > are attached properly.
> > However, when I install a second Symbios card into my machine I run into
> > problems. I have tried all my tricks, but I still can't get throuh the
> > modprobe.
> >

> Have you verified that each SCSI adapter works properly when it is the
> only one in the system and in the slot you intend it to run in?
>
> The 2.6 kernel only comes with the new NCR53c8xx/SYM53c8xx family
> driver. Later versions of the 2.4 kernel had an old and new driver, so
> it's probably not an option for you to try the other driver. I would
> suggest that the evidence points toward a hardware problem. Also, have
> you tried having a properly terminated SCSI cable but no devices?
> --
> C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc.rr.com>

I've had problems with that driver also.  I have a 2.4 kernel system
that's been running smoothly for several years, but I have never been
able to get the V2 Symbios driver to work with it (dual Sym53C1010/33
controller).  I haven't moved up to Fedora because of it. And yes I've
logged a bug report, but haven't seen any movement.  I don't know if
this is a driver problem or a hardware problem that the old driver
ignored/worked around.  I tend to believe the former.

Cokey

F. 'Cokey' de Percin, DBA       Email:
CSC                              Work - cdeperci at csc.com
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - fdepercin at sc.rr.com