Evolution 2.0 "Just Doesn't Work"; will not send

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Wed Dec 1 05:03:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-12 at 07:42 +0300, David Robertson wrote:
> > > Problem:  Evolution refuses to send email; receives messages just fine.

I haven't followed this thread, so I apologize if someone has already
suggested this.

I had a hell of a time getting Evolution to send and receive email last
week when I set up FC3 on my Dell Latitude D800.  I tried everything I
could think of, including migrating my Evolution 1.4 data over and over
again into Evolution 2.0, deleting and recreating mail accounts several
times, and re-checking passwords. I also killed and restarted Evolution
more than a dozen times, but it never worked.

I finally managed to get Evolution to work by:

1. Chose not to remember passwords in the mail account configuration.
2. Removed passwords from memory (Go to Actions -> Forget Passwords).
3. Clicked the Send / Receive button.
4. When the email check started, I typed my passwords for each account
that was checked, and selected the "remember passwords" option.

And viola, Evolution was able to send and receive email.

Now, I didn't document my steps even though I knew I should have, but
I'm pretty sure that's what I did.  I might have killed Evolution
completely after step 2, so if the above doesn't work, try to kill
Evolution before moving on to step 3.

HTH,

Ranbir
--