DVD Player

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 1 10:45:09 UTC 2004

ashwin kesavan iyengar wrote:

> Hi,
>     From the discussion so far on the list. I understand that fedora
> does not ship whith DVD player because of DMCA act of US. Just
> curious, then how come Windoz come with DVD player.
>
> Thank you,
>
> with regards,
> ashwin

That's a false statement.

XP Home and Pro DO NOT play DVDs out of the box. It even says while
installing about Media Player being able to play DVDs ONLY with the
installation of a third party decoder.

Once a third party codec is installed (ALA Cyberlink, WinDVD or
whatever), only THEN will Media Player play DVDs.

I don't know about Media Centre, but Home and Pro do not come with a DVD
  MPEG2 decoder.

Regards,
Ed.