FC3: Nautilus opening new windows

I've been looking for a way to stop Nautilus from opening a new windo for each subdirectory that I descend into, thus far without success. A coworker is running an older version with a checkbox controlling this behaviour in the preferences behaviour tab. The current version does not have this option. Is there another way?

If not, can anybody suggest a more efficient graphical file browser?

Frank.