Disk Partiotioning

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Thu Dec 2 03:31:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 10:59, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> C. Linus Hicks wrote:

> >>What do you mean by "turn off the journal"?
> >The only difference between an ext2 filesystem and ext3 is that the ext3
> >has a journal. Turn off the journal and you have an ext2 filesystem. The
> >tune2fs manpage tells you how to do that. If you don't trust that on one
> >of your live filesystems, experiment by creating a new filesystem (you
> >don't have to have a free disk partition to do this, you can do it with
> >a filesystem in a file) and make sure you know what you are doing before
> >doing it for real. After you finish resizing, you can turn the journal
> >back on and convert back to ext3.
> >
> >Note that you can only turn the journal off when the filesystem is not
> >mounted or mounted read-only, so you will have to do that using a rescue
> >CD or some such.
> >

> How do I make a "filesystem in a file" ?
>
> I also had a couple of problems: I backed up everything in my "/"
> partition inside /home. Then I tried booting with the System Rescue CD
> or Knoppix. In the first, I couldn't access any of my permanent
> partitions.
Are they mounted??

check
$mount

>  In the second, I could only mount them as "read-only",
you can remount it read - write
$ mount -o remount,rw /path/to/mount

> so I
> would not be able to restore the "/" partition after resizing it, or
> would I? I mean, I must be able to read/write there after I re-create
> it, don't I?
> And how am I going to define the mount point as "/" after
> re-creating it?
I don't follow. (actually I did't follow the thread)

if you're booted into Knoppix or the rescue-cd, just fire up

vim /mnt/???/etc/fstab

edit the line that says which is your "/" partition to point to the new
place where your "/" resides.

> You see, I still have a lot to learn. I'm starting to believe that this
> is just too much for my present knowledge,

Experience is the best teacher, but if you don't start, experience won't
come a-running.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on D600 1.4Ghz