Can timidity replace /dev/sequencer for all MIDI playback?

Timothy Ha linuxmail at yandex.ru
Thu Dec 2 06:05:47 UTC 2004

I have installed timidity++ from Freshrpms.net for Fedora Core 3. It
works very well, playing my MIDIs to the AC97-type soundcard.

Since my soundcard doesn't have MIDI support by default, I would like to
know how to make timidity play all MIDIs. Perhaprs, musical software
like Rosegarden or NoteEdit can play MIDIs through timidity.

But what about Wine? It seems to play MIDIs through /dev/sequencer or
something like that? Can I route all MIDI usage from Wine and things
like that through timidity?

Thanks,
Timothy.