Dual boot installation with two disks

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Dec 2 12:18:37 UTC 2004

A. Lanza wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> i have one new machine with 2 hard drives and i'd like to install both
> Windows XP and Fedora Linux. 99,9% of the time i use Fedora but,
> unluckily, i still need to have XP installed. Having 2 disks, ¿can i
> install Fedora in one of them and XP in the other? Will i be able to use
> grub to boot the system either from one disk or from another? So far, i
> have only experimented with a 1 hard drive dual installation, and
> everything has been all right. Well... almost ;)
>
> The reason i've thought doing things this way is because i'd like to
> have one entire drive dedicated to Fedora, keeping XP in the other
> drive. I also would like to install some other distribution, maybe
> dedicating half of the disk space to Fedora and the other half to one
> another. Will i be able to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alf

Grub can boot several installations. I boot 4 seperate installations
within two hard disks. (one ms, three linux)

The best setups seem to be obtained from installing individual boot
partition for each installation and installing the last installation
into /MBR and add chainload instructions for each distribution.
(advanced boot options)

Have fun and check the early fedora-list archives for dual booting
options and schemes.

Jim

--
We need to teach Linus about "taste" in drivers. His core code taste is
impeccable, but I'm not fond of his driver taste ;)

	- Alan Cox on linux-kernel