Power off still failed even acpi=off and apm=off

John Burton j.c.burton at gats-inc.com
Thu Dec 2 15:16:56 UTC 2004

Wong Kwok-hon wrote:

>Hi
>
>I re-installed the Fedora Core 3 with acpi=off and apm=off at
>installation prompt.
>
>I typed :linux acpi=off apm=off when install but still failed to power
>off the machine with same symptom "power_off call"
>
>How to fix the power off machine problem?

Interesting side note - I have FC3 installed on HP/Compaq nx7000 laptop.
When the machine is plugged into the charger, doing a "shutdown" in any
of its many forms ("halt" from the command line, "halt computer" from
the KDE logout widget causes the machine to go all the way down, power
off for about 1 second and then start up again. When it is operating on
battery alone, it simply powers down, no restart...

John