Disk Partiotioning

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 2 15:52:12 UTC 2004

C. Linus Hicks wrote:

<snip>

> Actually, this won't solve your problem with QTparted. It doesn't
> support resizing ext3 or ext2 filesystems. And from playing around with
> parted, I think you would run into "Filesystem has incompatible feature
> enabled" errors if you tried using it.

Because, as I learned a few months ago, the filesystem was created with
"sparse superblocks", which is the default behavior.  A workaround is to
always include -O ^sparse_super in the options string for mke2fs. The
partition will then be resizable by parted, qtparted or Partition Magic.
A bit more disk space is consumed in overhead but at today's storage
costs, I really couldn't care less.  YMMV