Ditching FC3... for now =(

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 2 17:20:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Satish Balay wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Lotsa Cabo wrote:
>
> > Did you try the 'clock=pit' boot option - from this reference?. Did it not
> > make a difference?
> >
> > --> No, I have not tried it because I cannot get the OS up, and work with
> > it, well enough to make the change. If it takes over three hours for it to
> > boot, then working in the OS is going to be muuuuuch too painful to make a
> > change while it's up.
>
> 3 hours to boot is way too long. I don't know what the reason could
> be. Did you allocate sufficient memory for the VM? What CPU do you
> have? How much memory did you allocate for the VM?
>
> But to use the above option at boot time - you can do the following:
>
> - power cycle
> - when you see the prompt -'booting Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.681_FC3) in 5 sec...'
>   press 'e' for edit.
> - if you get a menu with various kernel options again - press 'e' edit again
>
> - Now go to the line which says: something like:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.681_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>    change it to:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.681_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet clock=pit
>
> - Now press 'enter' to save your changes
> - now press 'b' to boot.

Also, to cut down the 'time' & 'memory' requirements - you can boot to
console/non-graphical mode only with the boot option '3' (without
'rhgb'). i.e:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.681_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ clock=pit

And to make these changes permanant - once you boot - you can edit
/etc/grub.conf file - and make the changes.

Satish