Adding a network printer

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Dec 2 17:31:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 09:17:43AM -0800, Martin Canovas wrote:
> I'm using FC2. The printer is HP LaserJet 4050 N.
>
> As I said before, I already tried other drivers: hpijs, hpijs-rss,
> lj5gray, ljjet4
>
> Yes of couse I tried the test page. As a matter of fact, that is all
> I'm trying right now. I don't want to test it using firefox or other
> application becuase that could be a problem in the application.
>
> When I try the print test nothing happens.
>
> We access this printer through a server, and I can ping it by IP or name.
>
> It is fustraiting how an easy task becomes a pain in the ass. I guess
> I will have to configure my syslog.conf to debug mode to get more
> info.
>
> Thanks for your help. If you can think of anything that might help me
> let me know.
>
> Martin
If you access the printer through a server (i.e., you send the print
job to machine B which actually sends the print job to the printer)
that changes everything. At the point you get to choose a printer
don't do that. Instead of going to the list of printers just identify
it as a Postscript printer and it should print. That is what we had to
do. If we didn't we had the same problem you had.

Bureaucrat, n.:
	A person who cuts red tape sideways.
		-- J. McCabe
Aaron Konstam