Problems remotely changing IP address of second NIC

Seth Art sethart at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 21:17:33 UTC 2004

> On Friday 03 December 2004 03:35, Seth Art wrote:
> > 1) I SSH into to the LAN CARD, become root.
> > 2) I then use system-config-network-gui though the ssh connection to
> > get a nice gui from the remote machine.
> > 3) There is no DHCP server on the DMZ so i give it a static address on
> > the same subnet, set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and default gateway
> > to the correct default gateway.
>
> Why would you do that? I would expect you to be kicked out.
>
> > 4) I then apply changes and activate the card.
> Here's how I'd give it an IP address good until the next reboot.
> ifconfig eth1 192.168.2.1
> When I'm finished with it
> ifconfig eth1 down

You know... I guess that is what i was looking for.  I had a feeling i
was making it much more difficult than it had to be, i just think it
would be that easy.  It only difference is that eth3 is usually up.
its up with no IP address like i said in the email i posted a minute
ago.  So i would do

ifconfig eth3 down
ifconfig eth3 up 192.168.218.30 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.218.2

and you think i should be good like that?  Do you think i will need to
do a service network restart?

and then to set it back up the way i usually have it i could just do:

ifconfig eth3 down
ifconfig eth3 up 0.0.0.0

and all should be well.   hmmm.  When i get back in my machine finally
i will try all of this.  Thank you for your help.   I still don't
understand why doing it the other way kicks me off and then renders a
completely different interface useless.  Any ideas?