Auto-Mounting and Unmounting CDs, DVDs, USB drives etc.

Sharon Kimble sharonm63 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 21:58:57 UTC 2004

fedora-list at webterminate.com wrote:

> On Thursday 02 December 2004 22:03, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 fedora-list at webterminate.com wrote:
>> > Dear Fedora List,
>> >
>> > When I show off my brand new FC3 system to Windows-centric friends, we
>> > invariably get to a point where they'd like to see me open a Windows
>> > Media File, or a MS Word Document. I'm proud that Xine and OpenOffice
>> > can do that, only to be embarassed when my computer won't return the CD
>> > they've given me the files on.
>>
>> just use the "eject" command, as long as no program is currently
>> tying up the CD.
>>
>> rday
>
> Thanks for the quick reply!
> But that's my point! I don't want to use "eject"; after all, the drive has
> an eject button which I'd like to use. It looks strange for a modern
> system to have to type "eject" in a terminal window to get the CD out ;-)
> Maybe I'm missing something very simple.
> Also, I'd like to avoid using the gnome-volume-manager, if there's a
> counterpart that's better integrated with KDE. Does such a thing exist?

Under KDE I close the konqueror window and then right-click on the icon of
the cd drive on the desktop, and on there you have the option of ejecting
the cd. Easy, providing no other program is using the cd in the drive.

Sharon.
--
 21:56:47 up  1:45,  1 user,  load average: 1.78, 1.49, 1.40
Fedora Core 3, KDE 3.3.1-4.2.3, OpenOffice 1.1.3