Auto-Mounting and Unmounting CDs, DVDs, USB drives etc.

Ernie McCracken holycrap at cavtel.net
Thu Dec 2 22:02:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:01:02PM +0100, fedora-list at webterminate.com wrote:
> So, can somebody please explain to me how to get the following to work as
> non-root user:
> 1) insert CD
> 2) find CD mounted somewhere (eg /media/cdrom)
> 3) browse the directory with konqueror
> 4) press the eject button on the drive
> 5) get the CD back a couple of seconds later
> 6) possibly have the Konqueror window close automatically, or react in some
> way (that's not really important; after all, I know the directory is not
> accessible any more)
> with gnome-device-manager (under KDE) the mounting seemed to work fine, but it
> did not unmount (I had to do it manually as root)

The steps listed above are exactly what I do anytime I need to access
something on CD.

In /etc/auto.master, I put this:
/media /etc/auto.misc --timeout=10

In /etc/auto.misc, I put this:
cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom

As root, I turned on autofs:  # service autofs start

And now anytime I need to use a CD, I put it in and I can browse its
contents at /media/cd.

When I'm done, I push the button on the CD drive and it pops out.

I don't use KDE so I can't help you with having Konqueror close
automatically at unmount time.