FC3 SMP builds do NOT contain ext3 drivers in the build!!!!

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 2 22:50:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 17:05 -0500, Fred Skrotzki wrote:
> Yep multiple times and it can not find a problem.  I'll just knock
> them all down to ext2 and continue on.
>
> As for it being a ext3 journal or super block problem if that was the
> case it should have then been found by the single proc kernel (or is
> there a bug in that kernel not detecting it).  Why would it be only a
> problem in the SMP implementation and not the single proc mode.

The error messages you posted earlier:

ext3: unknown symbol journal_get_write_access
ext3: unknown symbol journal_undo_access
ext3: unknown symbol journal_create_access
ext3: unknown symbol journal_destroy
ext3: unknown symbol journal_clear_error
ext3: unknown symbol journal_stop
ext3: unknown symbol journal_init_inode
ext3: unknown symbol journal_start
ext3: unknown symbol log_wait_command
ext3: unknown symbol journal_release_buffer
ext3: unknown symbol journal_check_available_features
ext3: unknown symbol journal_abort
ext3: unknown symbol journal_restart
insmod: error inserting '/lib/ext2.ko": -1 unknown symbol in module

would suggest to me that the issue has more to do with modules than the
filesystem. I read the above as "When I was attempting to load the ext2
module, I couldn't resolve the symbols that should be resolved in the
ext3 module."

Have you tried unpacking the initrd for your smp kernel and verifying
that they match what is installed on disk? The latest 2.6 kernel initrds
I have looked at are gzipped cpio files. I would load the contents of
the initrd into a temp directory, then use cmp. Otherwise, perhaps it is
a symbol table problem.

--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc.rr.com>