ACPI and kernel 2.6.9-1.6.FC2

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Dec 4 15:07:24 UTC 2004

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 23:56:28 -0500, Jim Cornette
> <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Lo Cal wrote:
>>
>>>I just fix the same problem on my machine using "apci=ht" in grub
>>>kernel line. I'm using an all AMD system....don't know if ht means
>>>halt, hyper threading or something else. Try it and see if it works
>>>for you.
>>>

>>I tried adding the option earlier and had no positive results. I did
>>grab the kernel for FC2 from the OS directory and installed this
>>version. The results were that the computer would shutdown and poweroff
>>with the kernel-2.6.5-1.358. This isolates the problem specifically to
>>the kernel and not to other operating system functions. Also, since my
>>computer is not that old and the BIOS was upgraded with a version from
>>April 2004, the code in BIOS should conform to whatever caused the
>>breakage for ACPI power-off. An option for acpi=power-off-legacy should
>>be added to the kernel, if these BIOS settings do not conform to the new
>>linux kernel or industry standards. I guess HP should unbreak the BIOS
>>for acpi power-off also.Thanks for the acpi=ht suggestion. acpi
>>power-off is all that is noticably broken. We need some option that
>>addresses this problem specifically.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Jim
>

> An option for that would be another work around, nicer than disabling
> acpi all together.

acpi works well for fan, battery and cpu control. Disabling it
altogether is a poorer option than using 2.6.5 series kernels.

  The real issue is something being broken, though,
> or at least it seems that way.  It works for kernels through the 2.6.8
> kernel (you should really use 2.6.8, not 2.6.5), and then breaks in
> the 2.6.9 series on some machines.  Whatever changed in the
> acpi_power_off function (I think that is the one that announces it was
> called when it should power off) should be looked at.

It would be rather strange that the announcing the process would break
the functionality of the program. I'd rather have the power-off feature
shutdown the computer, rather than announce that it was called. Maybe
the halted process is caused by shutting down the process before the
display?
I know the kernel developers are working hard to correct this problem.

Jim

> The change seems to have done more harm than good, so perhaps it should be
> changed back.
>
> Jonathan

PS _ I only grabbed this kernel, for a test to see if my fairly recent
upgrade to the BIOS, which was performed within the time that the
power-off problem. I am running the 2.6.9 versions that have been
released. The kernel was pretty easily located for testing. FC3Tx
versioned kernels might have been a better selection.