BASH

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Sat Dec 4 15:50:21 UTC 2004

Two questions:

1) When a BASH script is executed, the file that represents the script
must be read by the interpreter. Assuming the script is a long running
script, is it safe to modify the script while its executing? The real
question boils down to is the entire script read into memory or not
before execution starts, or is it read as needed from disk. I ask
because I'd like to test a script, and while its running and I see
errors, I'd like to modify the script without disturbing the executing
version.

2) There seems to be no way to "goto" in BASH. If one has a lengthy
script that fails half way down, the only thing to do appears to be to
wrap the top half in an if that won't execute so as to skip that top
half and get to where the script should again restart. Is there a better
way to do this?

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com