Contributing code to open-source in EU? - SOLVED

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 4 20:48:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 03:15:57PM +0000, VJ wrote:
> Chris Hewitt wrote:
> >On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 10:40, VJ wrote:
> >
> >>   I came to know that a legislation in EU says that all my work (even
> >>the one that I develop at home, in my free time) is owned by my company.
> >>What do I have to do in case I have something to contribute and I
> >>developed it in my free time at home.
> >>VJ
> >

> >I'm in the UK and I've never heard of such a law. I'm a contractor and
> >operate as a limited company. My contract specifically states I may work
> >for other people/companies.
> >
> >Your manager may have been joking and you took him seriously, but check
> >your contract and listen to the advice others have given.
> >
> >If there were such a law then I think many of us would know about it,
> >the effect would be huge.
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Chris
> >
> Yippee!!!
> I got a green signal to go ahead and there will be no problem!!! All I
> have to do is sign a document with my company for every piece code that
> I contribute to open-source community.

Most excellent.

Keep copies of the documents...

Do keep work and play separate as much as is possible.

If your work has you working on software for one thing
work in another area for OpenSource.

If you have two machines use one for play and the other for work.  If
not two machines two accounts on the same machine.  Same for your
time.  Block out a schedule and keep to it.

In some cases this might look like a thin dotted line but it
has value at a lot of levels.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.