windows line breaks in txt files

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 23:50:29 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:

>Duncan Lithgow wrote:
>

>>I am setting my system up so that my wife, who has no interest in such
>>thinks, can simply get used to using a set of programs and use them
>>whether the computer is in windows or linux. I personally think that
>>needs to be the focus of all attempts to win over windows users.
>>
>>So, is there a good text editor which runs in windows which will
>>correctly detect the line breaks. Then she can use that and be none the
>>wiser ;)
>>

>Most of them will, as far as I can tell. Even Wordpad will correctly
>read Unix line breaks!

The only one that doesn't AFAIK is plain old Windows notepad.

My fave Windows text editor for quite some time was EditPad lite (
http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html ).  About a year ago I
discovered  Notepad++ ( http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/  ) which I
like even more (and it's  under the GPL).

Both are programmers editors.  I'm not a programmer myself but I still
found them most excellent for garden-variety text editing/reading.  I
didn't use 1/2 of their features but still felt they were vastly
superior to Windows Notepad (or WordPad).