rpmbuild adds weird dependencies to my rpm

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Dec 5 13:07:30 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 06:30 -0600, Michael Thon wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> rpmbuild seems to be adding a bunch of dependencies to the perl modules that I
> am trying to package.  I think it might be finding references to perl modules
> within the documentation.  There might also be some calls to perl modules not
> included with the package although make and make test run fine, and the
> modules work ok too.  I want to rpmbuild to ignore all references to these
> non-existent/deprecated/moved modules.  Is there a macro I can use in the
> spec file to do this?  All my googleing and browsing through www.rpm.org has
> turned up nothing so far.

What are the bogus dependencies? Can you see which files those
dependencies have come from?

The way I usually deal with this (e.g. for removing references to Win32
registry modules) is filter the output of the dependency-finding script
to remove the spurious dependencies.

For example, here's the fix I put in my spec file (setup section) for
the Sys::Hostname::Long module (%{__perl_package} is Sys-Hostname-Long):

# Kludge to remove bogus Win32::TieRegistry requirement
%{__cat} <<EOF >%{_builddir}/%{__perl_package}-%{version}/find_requires
#! /bin/sh
exec %{__find_requires} | /bin/egrep -v '^perl[(]Win32::TieRegistry[)]$'
exit 0
EOF
chmod +x %{_builddir}/%{__perl_package}-%{version}/find_requires
%define _use_internal_dependency_generator 0
%define __find_requires %{_builddir}/%{__perl_package}-%
{version}/find_requires

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>