Hardware upgrade advice needed

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Dec 5 15:33:40 UTC 2004

On Sunday 05 December 2004 23:24, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to move my current system to a new PC.  I'm not sure the best
> way to do this.
>
> What I was thinking was to move the harddrive to the new computer and let
> fedora recognize and update the new hardware.  Will this work?  The 'newer'
> PC is an IBM NetVista 6792-3MU.

Should. I would expect it to, but sometimes I expect too much.

> Assuming the above will work, I then like to add an additional harddrive
> and move /home and /var to the new drive.  Can I just format and partition
> the new drive and move the files from the old drive to the new drive?
Yep.
Then, for backup poiposes:
cd /
mv var Var
mv home Home
mkdir var home
# edit fstab as needed
mount -a
Note that this is not the only order; you can do renaming and mounting first
then copy.

> Then, I would also like to increase the swap space on the old drive to
> double the RAM.  Can the swap be resized?

Umm.
Where is swap now?
Where will the space for resizing come from?

I would leave that bit alone for a while until you're confident all is well.
If space in /Var permits:
cd /Var
dd if=/dev/zero bs= $((1024*1024)) count=128 of=swapfile
mkswap swapfile
swapon swapfile
Use man to inform yourself.
If not in /Var, then in /var.

Note I do not believe in swap _partitions_.

Nor do I think that swap size double that of RAM beats trebling of RAM.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield