KVM and mouse stability

Chris Hewitt fedlist at manordata.uklinux.net
Sun Dec 5 18:57:37 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 15:01, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Sunday 05 December 2004 01:47 am, Craig White wrote:
> > Been through this before...
> >
> > upgraded from FC-1 to FC-3 - using a Belkin KVM
> >
> > things worked ok on FC-1
> >
> > when switching back to FC-3, mouse is erratic and unusable. Doesn't help
> > to switch to text console (Control-Alt-F2) and back to X. Doesn't help
> > to add psmouse.proto=imps to grub boot.
> >
> > Anyone else seeing this on FC-32.6.9-1.681_FC3 ?
> >
> Yes! I've got a Belkin Omniview SE 4-port switch. Back in RH9 it worked fine.
> Now it doesn't work and I *have* to use VNC to have a useable system. If you
> figure out what the problem is, let me know. I thought maybe it was my mouse
> settings since I'm not using a "name-brand" mouse!

If you look at the archives there are many posts on this topic. The root
problem seems to be that the Belkin KVM does not do keep-alive so the
mouse/keyboard is effectively detached from the computer unless it is
the selected option on the KVM. Interestingly enough, I have found this
with FC1 too, but not RH7.3 or 7.2.

I have psmouse.proto=bare in the kernel line in grub.conf and I don't
have any problem. Does this work in your case?

Regards

Chris