Alistair alistair at tyeurgain.free-online.co.uk
Sun Dec 5 23:15:16 UTC 2004

Hello, All

I am new to the list and to Fedora also, having come from the Linux of
SUSE.  SUSE has broken a lot of things in 9.2

I have a lovely setup of fc3 on my Dell I8600 laptop.  However, to
accomplish ACPI S3 suspend/resume it needs to have the DSDT replaced.
In the past, I have used SUSE's in-built mechanism that is based upon
the work that can be found at http://gaugusch.at/kernel.shtml , or
applied the patched to be found there to vanilla kernels.

Now, if I apply the patches to a Fedora kernel, they apply OK, the
kernel compiles OK, and with the unchanged initrd, the kernel boots OK.
However, as soon as I introduce the DSDT image into the initrd, the
kernel seems to be unable to load it, so panics because it cannot load
the module for the root fs.  I have done this dozens of times before,
but it is only fc3 that has failed me.

I have an ext3 root partition (don't ask ;-) so tried to kludge the
problem by compiling in static ext3 support, but still no boot.
(Actually, it won't boot with ext3 static and *no* DSDT in the intitrd!)

Has anyone found any way to use a custom DSDT with fc3?  Alternatively,
I have been told that a vanilla kernel won't allow fc3 to work (maybe
untrue?) but if this is right, what is the minimum set of patches that I
need apply for use in a single-disc, non-RAID workstation that is not
likely to be exposed to any non-friendly networks?

Ta,
Alistair