Performance problems with dual channel DDR memory

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Dec 6 02:14:22 UTC 2004

Are you using the very latest BIOS for this motherboard?

What brand and model number is the memory and does Intel say that
brand/model of memory offers acceptable dual-channel performance in that
motherboard?

My MSI K8N Neo2 (MS-7025...it's a Socket 939, AMD Athlon 64 board) came
with a Test Report booklet which is a valuable reference for me. It
lists brands and models of memory that worked in dual channel mode. I
opted to use a no-name or 'generic' brand of DDR memory. This performs
great at the slower 2T (DDR 333 instead of DDR 400) timings in dual
channel mode. I was able to get 2 Gb at the prices newegg.com offered
me. It was a huge savings compared to Crucial Ballistix memory, for
example. I don't care about the performance, as long as it works.

For your purposes, if memory performance is important, you need to be
very conscious of the motherboard BIOS version, and the memory brand and
model number and the timings associated with that model. And also
whether it is certified for use in that motherboard by Intel. I think it
is more a hardware-centric thing than an OS thing. But I could be wrong
there.

Bob