FC3: some additional package kills Apache

Thoralf Polet polet at rocketmail.com
Mon Dec 6 10:14:34 UTC 2004

Installing FC3: I've done this now for the 3rd time. I
installed from DVD using almost everything related to
servers and (web) development. I did an update of
those packages (cleverly downloaded the directory and
did this offline the last two times).

When I follow the instructions to install apt and
synaptic and adding more repositories and installing
stuff from those Apache won't work anymore. I can't
call any page from localhost. "The requested URL ...
was not found on this server." But in fact, it is.
Access rights are fine. It doesn't matter if it's html
or php.

It's not a matter of SELinux or Zope (having Plone
installed). It's not the defective versions of
php-rrdtool and mmcache causing trouble to Apache
(poor job done). It's not adding awstats.

The only useful information I get is when booting the
system an error message regarding
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
appears stating that ScriptAlias is already set and
the line

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"

won't have any effect.

I can't go right now the same chaos I had before with
some urgent project on the line. At FedorLinux.de
there is a guy expericencing the same problem.

Any ideas what caused that mess?